Monday, September 3, 2012

Intro

Sinking Old Sanctuary



I first got seriously into VGM (Video Game Music) when my brother played a track for me which we thought was the flight music from the upcoming game Chrono Cross. That track totally blew my mind. However, when Chrono Cross came out, it didn't have any airships, so neither of us knew where that music came from. I was determined to find out, so I started searching the web, eventually happening across a few VGM channels on IRC. From there, I started trading music with people, and my love of VGM was born. As a sidenote, I did eventually find out what the song really was.

Flight



I will eventually review all of the OSTs (Original Sound Tracks) that I love so much, but to start, I will give my top 25 OSTs of all time, because, who doesn't love lists? Before I start, however, some caveats:

1) Not every great OST can be on the list. I won't be including some soundtracks widely agreed to be among the best of all time, such as Katamari Damacy, Shadow of the Colossus, and so forth. This is not intended as a slight against you, the reader - it's just my personal taste.

2) The list skews pretty heavily in favor of RPGs. Part of the reason was a desire to favor soundtracks which would appeal to people who are a little leery of VGM, and RPGs tend to have more orchestral songs. As much as I love the Batman, Axelay, and Mega Man 2 OSTs, they are also absent.

3) I thought about including OCRemix tracks, but ultimately it would make each entry too long, and I'm already agonizing at trying to cut enough tracks from the list to fit a review of the entire OST into a max of 2 blog entries. I'm definitely going to do a supplemental entry at the end about my favorite OCRs for each game, such as the brilliant Green Amnesia (I doubt it's much of a spoiler to reveal that Chrono Trigger is on this list).

Great? Great. Let's get started.

3 comments:

  1. Oh hell yes! I freaking love that song! When did you figure out that it was xenogears?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really can't remember... I think it was several years into my collecting that I heard that song for the umpteenth time, and it kinda all clicked into place. I'm not sure how I remembered what it sounded like, though.

    ReplyDelete